[Gmecm] 93 CHEVY g20 VAN

Phillip Kuhn pmkls1
Sun Jan 1 00:16:38 UTC 2006

Wop on tour,
the GM returnless systems that use the pcm to control
fuel pressure are the newer systems used on the ls1
engine and all of it's derivatives and basically any
new engine they use that has a returnless system which
the list is pretty long nowadays but it first appeared
on the ls1. I do not remember ,however, what type of
signal they use but I think it is a pwm type signal.
As far as what I wrote about the vaccum reference for
a fuel pressure regulator that is exactly what GM
trainers tought me  the purpose was. Reguardless of
what the purpose of the vaccum signal is it DOES
significantly affect fuel pressure and fuel pressure
significantly affects fuel mixture. What I am
interested in more than anything else at this point
though is what is wrong with this guy's van. And back
to my original suggestion, fuel pressure regulators
are notorious for having the diaphragm rupture and
leak raw fuel which on most engines gets sucked
directly into the engine causing it to smoke black and
die (exactly the symptoms described about this van).
Also, somebody else mentioned the IAT sensor going bad
which on GM cars when they do they usually read
something like 40 degrees below zero and will also
cause a significantly rich condition and smoking and
wont always set a DTC. So at this point I would like
to hear back from the guy that has the van to see if
he has found anything yet..............