[Gmecm] 93 CHEVY g20 VAN

Jay Vessels jay
Sun Jan 1 23:53:17 UTC 2006

Hi there!

First, a note:  While every GM TBI I've seen is referenced to the
atmosphere, if memory serves some of the 2" bore 454 TBI regulators had
a vacuum reference.  Maybe I'm just remembering a DIY hack?

<* CSH on *>

I understand the "traditional" fuel line/regulator/return line system
(i.e. TBI, TPI, etc.) where fuel constantly flows through the fuel line,
through the regulator, and back through the return line.

On something like the LS1 that has a single fuel line and no return, how
is the pressure controlled?  I would have expected a PWM-driven pump and
a fuel pressure sensor, where the PCM controls fuel pressure in some
form of closed-loop control.  From WopOnTour's description, this is not
the case.

So, now for two questions:

1)  How does the single fuel line system work -- how does it maintain a
constant relative pressure across the fuel injector?  If the pump has
constant power on it, does it just "deadhead" against the injectors?  If
there is a regulator, how does this regulator work?

2)  Could such a system be adapted to older EFI systems like a TBI or
TPI swap?  Could a single fuel line system be made to work on a TBI or
TPI install?  I assume this would mean either some code patches to the
ECM (i.e. a BPW adjustment based on MAP to compensate for the change in
pressure) or a standalone controller that would read fuel pressure and
adjust pump power accordingly.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI pending)