[Gmecm] 93 CHEVY g20 VAN

michael b mbjork42
Mon Jan 2 22:41:51 UTC 2006

I put anew one in today and it runs great, I spent alot of time and money and brang it to "mechanics" because I didnt have the time or resources, any ways i'm all set for work tomorrow, Thanks to all.....Mike

David Allen <davida1 at hiwaay.net> wrote:  CTS fault very common and will not set a code until it gets VERY bad. ECM
will continue to beleive the faulty sensor signal and operate accordingly
until the sensor completely fails.
With the engine running, disconnect the CTS sensor. The check engine
light will come on and the ECM will substitute an "average" temp reading for
the disconnected sensor. If a bad CTS is the cause, the rich-running symptom
will go away within a few seconds of unplugging the bad CTS sensor.
Cold starting may not be possible without this sensor so replace it if it
is bad - don't leave it unplugged.
David

-------

Common faults.

CTS (coolant temp sensor--at manifold, not head). Scan will verify this one
quick.
Leaking exhaust manifolds...system will command rich.
Leaking EGR valve...runs richer at lower speeds and idle, due to lower MAP
vacuum signal.
Worn distributor bushings...cracked magnet--can double trigger the RPM
signal to the ECM.
Bad MAP sensor or vacuum leak to sensor--various TSB's on this failure.
Incorrect spark plug reach (least likely).

Lyndon.