[Gmecm] Ignition off fan

Robin Handley Robin
Sun Jul 2 14:42:22 UTC 2006

Been bashing my head against the $58 Fan code...

The 749 circuit diagram clearly shows just one Fan line, which turns on the
fan at full speed (i.e. not via an in-line resistor) when the ignition is
on. If the Fan line is active and the ignition is off, then the Fan is
driven at low speed, via a resistor.

According to my understanding of the fan code, and observation via simulated
CTS inputs, while bit 4 of FMDBYTE1 (V5 cooling fan request) is OFF (which
is how it stays in my installation), only the Hot Fan ON/OFF thresholds are
used to activate and deactivate the Fan line.

I see no distinction between the 1st time hot flag and the Fan ON flag.

If the V5 cooling Fan request is ON, then the (non-Hot) Fan ON/OFF
thresholds can be used to activate and deactivate the Fan line. The V5
cooling Fan request never gets turned ON in my installation and I don't know
what could turn it ON.

I haven't fully got my head around the Fan code because there are some
status bytes that come into play, mostly when the V5 cooling Fan request is
ON, which I don't know the meanings of ($0029, $002C, $0032, $0033). Also
$0102 and $0178 are used - which I think are Fan timers.

I can only assume that my Fan flicking ON and OFF a few times, as (real -
i.e. not simulated) CTS approaches the Hot Fan ON threshold is due to
sufficient noise to defeat the ON/OFF hysteresis, and that the 1Hz ALDL log
isn't showing all of the dips. It should take only one value below Hot Fan
OFF to turn the fan off. I will see if I can temporarily improve the CTS
ground to see if this goes away...

Robin