[Gmecm] MAP and Vac

Robin Handley Robin
Sun Jul 16 09:20:35 UTC 2006

Thanks Andrew.

I was vaguely aware that the initial MAP measurement was used as a pressure
reference for calculating true engine load and therefore correct fueling.
AIUI this is one of the benefits of speed-density over Alpha-N (unless the
Alpha-N has a MAP sensor and incorporates some kind of baro correction, of
course).

I'm still digesting your words, but my recorded data doesn't seem to agree
with the simple relationship that you describe. Maybe I've misunderstood. In
my recorded data, I see a fixed value of Baro (~97kPa). This makes sense,
but my recorded MAP and Vac values do not add up to this.

Fitting a line to a (roughly elliptical) MAP vs Vac plot (that has a number
of outlying points) gives: MAP = 120 - Vac, when Baro = 97 throughout.

Looking at the absolute plots; while driving: Map + Vac ~= 120, but during
the following idling phase, Map + Vac ~= 100 (i.e. a lot nearer Baro),
except when the Fan kicks in. Then, because Vac goes up by 15kPa while the
fan is on, so does (Map + Vac).

What have I missed?

Robin