[Gmecm] Re: Gmecm Digest, Vol 16, Issue 1

Beau Blankenship ne14roxcj
Fri Jun 2 03:49:45 UTC 2006

Even cheaper might be a TBI from a 454. I used the Holley Pro-jection TB
with a 7747 ECM. A few guys here swapped out the Holley injector pod for a
GM piece. Either way, you get 2" bores and if you got the GM unit from the
big-block, tuning might be fairly simple. I can say that the big-bore
throttle body seemed to breathe a little better at high RPMs. I swapped that
for a TPI. I gained a little drivability (low-end), but it doesn't seem to
have the high-rev power that the TBI did. Note: Stay away from Holley
injectors if you run them with a GM ECM. There are also a number of 4-bbl
TBI units out in the aftermarket besides the Holley. I have to agree with
the other guys, I don't think you will come close to those HP and TQ numbers
with a stock TPI setup. My 355 is done making power by 4300-4500. It may be
the cam, but I tend to think it is the small runners. What kind of cam are
you using to make that kind of power and do you think it will be compatible
with EFI? Oh, you said you were thinking about the '165. That is MAF, right?
It should handle a little more cam than my speed density setup. That's just
my $0.02

BTW, what components make up a 412SBC? Is that a 400 overbored?

Beau