[Gmecm] Acquiring ECM schematic

Ryan Hess rgmecm
Thu Jun 8 20:25:19 UTC 2006

Wow, I did not know that.  I can't imagine going through a 4 layer board, and worse, trying to figure out what IC does what.

Who would you suggest I request information from?  Delphi?  Who built their early 90's OBDI ECM's?

As sort of an aside, GM stopped making/supporting the 1228331 ECM found on ZR1 vettes and the turbo lotus.  There was another part # that superceeded it, but I believe it too had been discontinued.  What are those people to do?  They don't exist in junkyards (I've looked), and there's *one* on ebay for nearly $600.  If GM doesn't release the schematic for it, wouldn't they be out of luck?

This secretive environment is just terrible.  These things are approaching 15-20 years old now.

davesnothereman at netscape.net wrote: Ryan Hess  wrote:

>Question: how have ECM schematics been acquired in the past? ???the
>7730/49 on ludis' site, etc?
Old fashioned reverse engineering.

>I'm in contact with an ECM remanufacturer, who
>presumably has a great deal of knowledge locked away somewhere. ???The
>question is, how do I coerce it out of them? ???

Maybe you should request information as an ecm remanufacturer?  There are a few rebuilders, they must have obtained information in some way.
I'm specifically looking
>for a schematic of a '2240.
>

>I have to assume this is like the TV repair business, where the mfr
>charges a fee for access to their schematics..

They may not release schematics at all.  GM is a provider of rebuilt ecm's.  They have no need to support the business of repairing and rebuilding computers.

I know that it's easier to pull a hen's teeth than obtain Delco service information for audio products, even those which are 15 years old.  And once you get service info, finding parts is even tougher.

Zaphod

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.