[Gmecm] Big cap HEI on 7747

bcroe at juno.com bcroe
Sat Jun 10 04:02:06 UTC 2006

I'm going to add to this.  That second image isn't the whole
story, because there is no flat horizontal line at left except
when the shaft first starts turning.  More importantly, the
waveform is balanced above and below ground, or + and
- portions if you like.  The very sharp edge occurs when the
magnetic field stops building, and starts declining; that
is about as the pole pieces are closest.  This always
occurs the same spot, though velocity may change the
amplitude and period of the waveform.

The module senses the crossing of voltage from one
polarity to the other; the voltage it switches at is zero, position
of which is not affected by amplitude.  The module is supposed
to fire on the very rapid transition, which will be very accurate.
If the wires are reversed, the module will fire on the very slow
changing part of the waveform crossing zero, which is way off
in time and not so accurate.  My recollection is that proper
firing is on the negative edge (relative to ground).

Bruce Roe