[Gmecm] Ignition off fan

Robin Handley Robin
Wed Jun 28 18:28:07 UTC 2006

Aaah. Thanks again, Scott! :-) I see how, from the circuit diagram, when
ignition power is lost, the high speed fan relay drops off.

So, since my fan goes straight off when I turn the ignition off, would I be
right in deducing that the $58 code goes through all the motions of
controlling 2 fans, but the code for the 2nd (high) one achieves nothing on
the 749 h/w, but _does_ work on my 727 h/w? :-)

If this is right, then it's probably worth me trying to find the #1 fan pin,
to get the ignition off running. Shame there seems to be no cross reference
for this! I guess I just check the quad driver pins...

Robin

BTW: I'm also observing my fan flicking on then straight off a few times as
the engine temperature rises to the high fan ON temperature that I've set.
The CTS is a little noisy (mostly +/- 1 C, with occasional dips of 6C !);
but, looking at the plots of CTS vs. fan ON, there isn't a 100% correlation
between the CTS spikes and the fan state transition. I'm still trying to
understand the code (not helped by not knowing what half of the zero page
locations, particularly statuses, mean), but I've been wondering whether the
$58's high fan control logic isn't as sophisticated as that for the control
of the low fan (i.e. high fan has no delayed start up - which might reduce
the likelihood of the 'flicking'). If the $58 only ran on h/w that didn't
use the high fan logic, then GM may never have noticed this behaviour, or
didn't care(?)

Having said this, I'd expect the natural hysteresis of the ON/OFF thresholds
to avoid this kind of 'flicking' problem...

I also plan to look at my CTS wiring. I 'cheated' by wiring the GND side to
chassis. This massively added to the CTS noise when I had had bad engine
grounding (now fixed), but still may be adding some. I'd be interested to
see others's CTS plots to compare noise.