[Gmecm] DIS 4 cylinder hac?

Ryan Hess rgmecm
Sun Mar 5 17:23:23 UTC 2006

That would be the safe thing to do... I doubt I'd ever need more than  40 degrees of total advance anyways.  If I understand this  correctly, any spark advance greater than the "max" value gets clipped  to the max value.  In the case of a distributor, it has to be  <45 degrees to make sure the spark doesn't jump to the next  terminal(cylinder).  The minimum value is set to around 0 for the  same reason.  In the DIS v6 case, I don't particularly understand  why it's set up to -10 and -70.  Are these the physical limits of  the DIS ignition for the v6 before the next cylinder is fired?   And is it a minimum of 10 degrees advance to a maximum of 70 degrees  advance?

  Going strictly theoretical here, using a 10 degree adv minimum like the  DIS v6, it seems like I could get up to 45 degres more advance for a  DIS V8, for a maximum of 55 degrees advance?

  (For the DIS V6, they had 60 degrees of play, which = 1/2 angle between firings...)

Thinking out loud I guess...

  Ryan

davesnothereman at netscape.net wrote:  Any value lower than stock would "work."  Why not negate the V8
distributor values?

Zaphod

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Hess
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Sent: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 08:07:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] DIS 4 cylinder hac?

   I'm trying to figure out what values would work with a DIS V8... If
there's practically no difference between the I4 and V6, I wonder if I
should just use the stock V6 values of -10 and -70. That's pretty close
to the values I'm using now anyways..

 Ryan

davesnothereman at netscape.net wrote: The reversal of values is due to
labelling in the disassembly.

Maybe no surprise that the limits are similar to V6 DIS? The numbers
are based on the type of ignition system. Distributor type 6 cyl is
lower, and 8 is lower still.

Zaphod