[Gmecm] Now 4L80E Questions.

davesnothereman at netscape.net davesnothereman
Mon Mar 6 12:36:55 UTC 2006

Hi, Don.

GM literature specifies some of the changes in solenoids.

1) Internally, solenoids vary greatly
    a) Size of spool valve has been increased
    b)spring was added to eliminate need for 10 second cleaning pulse
2) "balance" oil removed from end of solenoid
3) New solenoid resistance is slightly higher, 3-8 Ohms
     a) average duty cycle readings will be slightly higher due to
greater resistance

4) Older design Bosch part, silver in color, cannot replace newer
Holley unit, Black in color.

My recollection is, and service bulletins seem to support, that one
reason for the change in frequency was to eliminate unwanted RFI.  The
older vehicles would "hum" if certain AM frequencies were tuned in.

There is a note in GM service bulletin # 477118 regarding changeover
model transmissions.
"1994 4L80-E/4L80-EHD Goodwrench transmissions cannot be used to
service any 1993 or prior applications."
However a service bulletin detailing mixing and matching 1st and 2nd
design trans parts (bulletin no 266) indicates that any failed pressure
control solenoid should be replaced with the second design solenoid,
part no 8677314.

Some questions:
If you go to www.gmpartsdirect.com and look up the solenoid part
numbers for pre 94 trans and for 94+ models, does GM indicate the new
solenoid should be retrofitted into the old trans?

Is there a 94 PCM with the same part number and application as your
pre-94 PCM, allowing the older calibration to be replaced with a newer
one?  Positive answers to these question can help ease your mind.

Zaphod