[Gmecm] Heated O2 Current Draw

Joe Vitek joevitek
Thu Mar 9 01:57:19 UTC 2006

Well, the original question in the particular thread below was:

>  Does anyone know the current draw for the heater circuit on a heated
>  O2 sensor?
>
> I need to convert to a heated sensor.

I was just pointing out that a meter at room temp would be inaccurate for
continuous current usage. I know about the positive temp coeff. w.r.t.
resistance. I just assumed everyone else understood that and just forgot or
something. Maybe I came into the thread late and missed the fuse thing back
after the original question above but before I opened my trap.

Sorry.

--
joe

William Lucke wrote:

> As was pointed out before, the current draw will be greatest on a cold
> heater. This is simple physics and I'm surprised no one has brought this
> up yet... As the temperature of the element goes up, its resistance will
> go up as well. The least resistance and greatest current draw will be
> when the element is cold. Measuring at room temp is in fact MUCH BETTER
> than measuring resistance hot.
>
> Will
>
> > From: "Scott Pearson" <mrcad472 at iowatelecom.net>
> > Subject: Re: [Gmecm] Heated O2 Current Draw
> > To: <gmecm at diy-efi.org>
> >
> > If you're asking to find out what size of fuse to use, just find out what
> > car used that sensor and use that fuse size.
> >
> > For instance, I just looked up a 2001 Bonneville 3800 SC. Uses two heated
> > sensors (B1S1 and B1S2). The heaters for both sensors are powered by one 10A
> > fuse, powered when the ignition is in the ON and START postitions.
> >
> > Scott

joe vitek (on the shores of the Indian River, Cocoa, Florida)
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/joevitek/Motorized_Projects/projects.htm
'88 H/O Aero (w/455 to be built by Norwalk 2006 dammit)
'81 Supreme (to be buddy's daily driven street/stip-automobile soon)
'83 H/O #2981 of 3001 (all original, needs paint, FOR SALE)
'72 Kawasaki H-1 500 (badmofo 2-stroke street bike, FOR SALE)
'00 Expedition Eddie Bauer (tow vehicle, FOR SALE)
'90 Accord (daily beater that won't die 280k and counting)
'93 Isuzu Trooper (100k, replaces the Expletive)