[Gmecm] Re: Piggyback ignition modules

Andrew Gibson andrewsharyn
Thu Mar 23 05:00:55 UTC 2006

An update on the project. I decided to try running a single est 8 pin module off the original pickup coil with factory vacuum and mechanical advances. I zeroed all the timing tables and base timing in the prom. Saying the truck runs like crap is the understatement of the year. Right now I don't know why, so I'm back to the dual module idea until I figure it out. I priced the 7 pin module, $51 (cough, gag, hack, cringe) I guess I'm used to buying 4 and 8 pin ones that can be obtained for around $20 on a bad day.

  The weekend is coming so I should be able to spend more than 30 minutes figuring out what is going on. The running like crap? I have some suspects. Mismatched pickup coil/module combo. Failing dist shaft magnet (which you will almost never notice until an ecm gets involved.) Or just too much RFI which is a real possibility since I have an unsheilded pair of twisted wires running past the plug wires to the est module. When I know I will let everyone watching know so you don't make the same mistakes.

  Oh yeah. Please don't take any offense Zaphoid, since I don't mean any. I do have a really nice dual trace handheld digital lab scope. It's a MAC ET2011. Cost me about $800 new when it went on special. I use it almost weekly and it has paid for itself. I don't like doing diag work without one. I don't reccomend spending more than $1200 on a labscope. After that you are paying for a name and useless features. (Hey look guys I have a 8 channel scope that I can't figure out how to work the windows based software. Isn't it cool! (Heavy sarcasm)) I haven't tried anything less expensive than the one I own. I've compared specs and I just don't want to.