[Gmecm] Understanding injection system acronyms

William Lucke william.lucke
Sat May 13 23:32:38 UTC 2006

I have acquired two sets of 98-99 Suzuki GSXR 750 throttle bodies in
order to go throttle per cylinder on my Cadillac Northstar. Sport bike
throttles are very handy because they already include injector bosses
and vacuum ports as well as a way to integrate them into a single
actuation mechanism. The 98-99 GSXR 750's have the biggest per cylinder
sport bike throttles (46mm). Suzuki GSXR 1300R (Hayabusa) throttles are
much more common and are around 42mm. Beware that many of the most
modern sport bikes use ECM controlled secondary throttles behind the
rider controlled primary throttles to smooth the power delivery. You'll
either need to chose a set without or remove the secondaries and plug
the shaft holes if you buy a set with.

Also check out: http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=6627 for motorcycle
throttle info.

In extreme racing engines, particularly dragsters, it is possible to run
both PFI and TBI at the same time... PFI supplies fuel at idle and low
throttle and when the PFI injectors get maxed out, the larger TBI
injectors start spraying. This allows the latent heat of vaporization of
the fuel to cool the intake charge and supplants the need for
intercooling in alcohol fueled forced induction cars.

Will