[Gmecm] Back to square one

Robin Handley Robin
Sun May 14 05:44:57 UTC 2006

> I should probably know this... you've been around for a while.  What
> engine are you working on?  Is this a Ford engine?  Vauxhall?

My GMECM was running the ignition on a Ford (Kent) Crossflow (highly tweaked
1600cc) but I replaced with with a Vauxhall 2.0XE (cylinder head design by
Cosworth).

> The promid will usually work, but I can compare the checksum to the
> values in the calibration and sometimes come up with a proper ID.
> Promid 3411 is AUWR3607, 1987 Sunbird GT 2.0 Turbo, manual trans.

The checksum is $D1EE in all the versions that I have. That would be great.
Thanks. :-)

> Possibly.  I would guess that the P4 document was written by someone
> close to, but directly involved with, the GM $58 code.  Some of the
> functions are described incorrectly, some of the described functions do
> not exist in the $58 calibration, and some of the important functions
> are missing altogether.  The GMECM world has been a detective's
> paradise for years.  And the turbo P4 document is akin to clues based
> on hearsay.  I may not have knowledge of specific issues in that
> document, but I'll try to help with any you've found.

Where I am now, the doc appears to be 'paradise' compared to how I was with
ANHT - but I haven't yet done the trawl through the PROMgrammer export to
see what's missing from the doc. That's next on my list. I suppose my other
option is to try and use what I've learned and apply it to ANHT - when I've
learned all I can I will have to make a decision about whether it's actually
worth the effort to switch from ANHT to the Sunbird code. More homework to
do...

Thanks for all your continued help. :-)

Robin