[Gmecm] voltage regulators

bcroe at juno.com bcroe
Sun May 14 18:36:25 UTC 2006

OK, I'm wondering if my early 80s is quite different.  No problem
getting the brushes out, you need a 1/16" drill to put
them back in.

Running 200,000 on brushes I would not describe as a
failure, but poor maintenance.  Usually they work with an
open diode, but output is way down and the GEN light may
glow some.  At least you can get home.

Regulators are pretty good, but I may have a bad one not
yet checked on bench.

The problem with a front bearing on mine was the shaft
wouldn't slide out.  I finally bent some cheap wrenches
to reach inside the air vent, unscrew the bearing retainer,
and slide shaft/bearing/retainer all out of the case.  Then
I could grind the bearing off.

Bruce Roe