[Gmecm] Back to square one

davesnothereman at netscape.net davesnothereman
Sun May 14 19:18:57 UTC 2006

The pressure <-> voltage relationship for the 1 and 2 BAR sensors are
not exactly linear.  This becomes even more apparent for the 3 BAR
saneor.  The lower the pressure, the closer the voltage between the two
sensors.  And really, they both have to represent about 20 kPa as
something close to 1V.  I believe there is a PV chart for the 2 BAR
sensor accessible from the gmecm home page.  Promgrammer's scaling is
most likely correct.

The only 1 BAR calibration I'm aware of for the 7749 is used with the
Quad 4 engine.  That's more better suited to high rpm use.  It's also
long overdue to be hacked / disassembled.

Used sensors vary in price depending on where you go shopping.  Send me
an email off list.

Zaphod

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Handley <Robin at FuryWorld.fsnet.co.uk>
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Sent: Sun, 14 May 2006 17:44:34 +0100
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] Back to square one

  > What I can say with certainty is that flipping the bit to 1 BAR and
> connecting to a 1 BAR sensor produced poor idle and driveability in my
> car.  I had no desire to chase the reason, I simply switched to a 2
BAR
> sensor.  I valued the time spent more than the potential for
education.

I've been comparing what values PROMgrammer shows for pressures (kPa),
for
the same Sunbird.bin, but when the MAP sensor range flag is changed:

Some calibration values are approximately halved.
Some are identical.
Some are approximately the same.

So, PROMgrammer seems to be applying different scale factors/formulae,
convert the raw stored value into kPa, for different calibration values.
Whether it is doing this when appropriate I just don't know. I had been
hoping that the GM programmers had been sufficiently clever so that raw
values (stored in the .BIN) would be appropriate no matter what sensor
range
is chosen, but I'm beginning to wonder if this was wishful thinking. If
life
isn't that simple (and I expect it isn't), then I reckon I've
potentially
got a yucky job on my hands to try and work out what new values should
be
used. This could be made all the more difficult if PROMgrammer's
scalings
aren't right - as I could be putting in a perfectly sensible value of
kPA,
which is then scaled to something stupid. :-( I'd be very grateful if
somebody could comment here. :-)

Dependent on what the expert response is, the option of buying a 2 BAR
MAP
sensor is looking more attractive. Anybody know what a scrap one goes
for?
Are they easy to come by?

The last option that I can think of is to find a set of calibration
values
for $58 from a NA car. Anybody know if one of these exists? Were all
Sys/Tys
Turboed?

Robin