[Gmecm] disassembly 101 / writing a commented hack

davesnothereman at netscape.net davesnothereman
Sun May 14 19:27:44 UTC 2006

I use Donald Whisnant's (spelling?) code seeking disassembler.  It's
freeware written to disassemble code from GMECM's.  Tunercat also has
one, but I'm not as familiar with it.  IDA Pro is also good, but not so
free.

Is there a data definition file for the norstar ALDL stream?  That
would at least provide the correct order to the ALDL data words if you
can find the ALDL xmit table.

Most of the ALDL tables I've looked at begin with the prom id byte
located in the beginning of the calibration.  If you know or can work
out the calibration address then you might be able to make a guess at
the beginning of the ALDL table.

You're famaliar with the reset vectors located at the end of Motorola
code... use those to separate code from cal. data.

If you're working with a P4 ecm, look for hardware addresses in the
3XXX range and attempt to use those with known calibrations from other
P4's to locate specific portions of code.  Use pattern matching to
attempt to locate and  identify some common routines such as spark
timing calculation.

There's probably people much better at this than I am who can offer
better clues.  But will they?

Zaphod