[Gmecm] V6-60 DIS spark retard advice?

Cowen captain_krill
Tue May 23 19:26:45 UTC 2006

Hello folks, I've got a 3.4 run by a '7730 ECM, with
the DIS from a 2.8.  I could easily drive all the time
with no preignition, but it is not too hard to force
mild preignition (high load, high throttle, low to
medium RPMs). I do have a knock sensor, and no codes
are coming up for that, so I have some questions:

1.  I have no VSS yet.  Does spark retard require VSS?

2.  I couldn't fit the knock sensor in the stock
location (my Jeep motor mount covers the hole), but
it's nearby.  I've seen knock sensors located all over
the place at the wrecker, but I've also read on this
forum that location may be important to avoid false
readings (valve train noise, etc).  Anyone know about
the cast head 3.4?

3.  Assuming I have no other problems, how many
degrees of retard can the DIS command?

4.  I've tried to test the whole thing by hooking up a
timing light, tapping the block with a hammer in the
vicinity of the sensor, and watching the timing mark
for movement (retard). I didn't see anything, but my
sensor is now located near the starter (like on the
'Vette), and it's hard to whack there!  How close to
the sensor should I have to hit, or does the sound
propogate pretty freely, even past internal structures
(main bearing saddles etc)?  Is it likely I can tap
the block and produce the right frequency vibration to
trigger retard?

Thanks for any advice!

Duncan