[Gmecm] Scan Tool and Olds ECM in '89 Electra Estate

Rick McLeod dunvegan
Thu Nov 9 17:03:18 UTC 2006

What you're seeing is possibly an example of a classic of low-current data/logic type circuit problem, when the weather gets cool things tend to contract, and connectors tend to almost open, moisture strikes and corrosion sets in, and you have a vibration and temp sensitive 'bug'. The classic 'fix' is to exercise every connector, causing a scraping of the crud that is almost insulating the connections, and all will be fine for a few years.

I deal a lot w/ marine electrics where water and temp are exteme, and have to pay very close attention to things like plug/sockets, not using crimp connectors, etc.

good luck

----- Original Message ----
From: DANTE Mclean <dante.mclean at sympatico.ca>
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Sent: Thursday, November 9, 2006 10:45:20 AM
Subject: [Gmecm] Scan Tool and Olds ECM in '89 Electra Estate

Hi:

I have an '89 Electra Estate with Olds 307 V8, eQJet.  Everything is stock.

What I want to do is drive around with my scan tool plugged in for a few
days to see if I can catch an intermittent code 21.  Vehicle is usually
fine, but throwing code 21 "TPS High" every so often while idling at lights.
  TPS voltage looks to be within specs at idle when checked.  So this is
truly an intermittent--and for more amusement, the car has been fine all
summer, but seems to start its little antics as soon as the weather gets
cool.

My scan tool (OTC 2000) allows State 6, Field Service, and State 8, ALCL.  I
understand that I should not run the engine in Field Service for more than 2
minutes due to risk of overheating the catalytic--A.I.R. divert--per OTC
manual.

Can I road test in State 8?  The OTC manual says the vehicle SHOULD NOT be
driven in this mode due to increased Idle Speed and extra spark advance (on
fuel injected ... meaning not applicable to this vehicle?).  "State 9 Road
Test" is not available with this ECM.

Anybody have input on this?

Thanks.

Dante McLean
dante.mclean at sympatico.ca

1989 Electra Estate with about 175,000 orig. kms.