[Gmecm] Scan Tool and Olds ECM in '89 Electra Estate

Steve Ravet Steve.Ravet
Thu Nov 9 17:25:23 UTC 2006

Have you tried replacing the TPS?  Or at least spraying some cleaner on
the connector and plugging/unplugging it a few times?  You could also
put an ohmmeter on there and slowly rotate it to see if the resistance
changes smoothly, and wiggle the wires to see if they're coming loose.

> My scan tool (OTC 2000) allows State 6, Field Service, and
> State 8, ALCL.  I understand that I should not run the engine
> in Field Service for more than 2 minutes due to risk of
> overheating the catalytic--A.I.R. divert--per OTC manual.
>
> Can I road test in State 8?  The OTC manual says the vehicle
> SHOULD NOT be driven in this mode due to increased Idle Speed
> and extra spark advance (on fuel injected ... meaning not
> applicable to this vehicle?).  "State 9 Road Test" is not
> available with this ECM.

My '91 5.7L TBI has a field test mode that increases timing and idle.
If you drive in this mode for a few seconds you'll see why it's not
recommended -- it knocked horribly for me.  I don't know if the spark in
your car is controlled by the computer or not, though.  If not it might
be OK.

--steve