Welding vs. computers (was RE: [Gmecm] Wide band 02 sensors)

Jason M. galaxiecustom500
Sun Nov 12 22:14:55 UTC 2006

Well you'd think that since we were welding on steel hooked to carbon fiber
where the PI system was at, that it would be safer too.

Pretty much this happened because it was a PI system.  They are just made up
of much more delicate electronics.  I haven't seen the literature on it,
back in 2003 we got it used from a local IRL team, but was told there were
numerous warnings about not doing what we did.

Probably the main reason you (and I) have not damaged electronics while
welding on vehicles is the electronics are just more robust, they have to be
to survive in a mobile application like an automobile.  With all the
vibration, temperature variation etc...

And yes the current should travel the path of least resistance while
welding, generally that would be the shortest distance between the clamp and
the weldment you are working on.  Don't know if the magnetic forces
generated by the current in the metal would be great enough to cause a
problem, even in our case of 2-3 feet of seperation between welding and the
electronics that died.

No matter what it is good practice to disconnect the battery, and remove
more sensative/costly electronics before welding on a vehicle.