[Gmecm] 60° V6 Cam

Jay Vessels jay
Thu Nov 23 14:37:53 UTC 2006

Hi there!

First, this site may be helpful:

http://60degreev6.com/

> All this talk about DIS crank sensors has me thinking about building
> up a DIS-fitted engine for my Century.  Currently it has a 1985-spec
> 2.8 MPFI motor (modified) with a distributor.  This engine has a
> flat-tappet hydraulic cam (from the factory).  Did GM ever produce a
> factory roller-lifter 60? V6 motor?

Yes.  All GenIII engines have roller cams.  The GenIII engines are the
3100, 3400, and 3500.  Production dates are fuzzy since they started
using them in different years for different car lines, but by 1995 all
V6/60 engines were GenIII engines.  By '96 they had 1.6:1 roller rockers
as well as roller cams.

The downside to the roller cam is that there aren't any aftermarket cams
to speak of, so you're stuck with the stock cam or a regrind.

  I've heard that it is best to
> stay with the iron heads for a turbo application.  But I would like
> to have the improved performance of a roller cam and DIS ignition.

You can fit a non-roller cam V6/60 block with a roller cam but there's
nothing stock about it.  I doubt it's worth the work.  You cannot fit
the late-model roller cam to the older block since the block is different.

DIS is easier, by grabbing a block with provisions for the crank trigger
(1987+ V6/60 FWD for your Century) and using the factory DIS hardware.

> Any ideas of where to look in the JY for a motor that has a factory
> roller cam and is new enough to have DIS?

All of the roller cam engines had DIS.  DIS came first, starting in
1987.  Roller cams started in the mid-1990s.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI pending)