[Gmecm] What really is a 'mask'?

Phillip Kuhn pmkls1
Sat Sep 2 23:39:05 UTC 2006

Well a mask is what is used to decode the bin file.
Think of the bin as a big encoded message and the mask
file is a decoding device that allows you to read it.
All bin files are written in hex codes and most of the
editing programs we use translate that into values
that we can more easily understand or rather real
world values. That is where mask files come into play.
The different codes used $58,$8D, etc are all coded
differently and use different sets of values for the
set parameters. Basically what you originally thought
was right, but there are several definition files
available that people have edited to make it more easy
to do custom tuning. Of course this is how I
understood it and I could be completely off base in
which case I am sure somebody will correct me.

Phil