[Gmecm] Modify $8D to work on MPFI 3.1L DIS engine - It RUNS

Ryan Hess rgmecm
Tue Sep 5 01:31:57 UTC 2006

Your memcal has a netres chip that is the "backup" should the prom fail.  In otherwords, the prom and netres need to match (V6 or V8 or whatever) or that code is set.

Brendan Patten <bpatten at centurytel.net> wrote: Okay, I've had the car running fine and timing seems to be right on
track.  I do have one thing happening.  It is setting a code 41 after
about 10 seconds of running.  This is cylinder select error.  I do have
the number of cylinders set to 192.  Other then that I don't know where
else to look

Anyone else encounter code 41 ?

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On
Behalf Of davesnothereman at netscape.net
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 7:36 AM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] Modify $8D to work on MPFI 3.1L DIS engine - It
RUNS

Changing calibration values does not generally cause communication
failures.  Changing spark reference angles may cause engine failure, but
does not cause ECM comms failure.

Timing values for max and min work like number line.  Look at absolute
value for conversion to degrees.  For negative ($FFXX) values, use
difference between $10000 and value in question.  Sign for "advance" or
"retard" depends on spark reference angle and sign of spark typically
encountered after reference angle is subtracted from desired angle.

 $10000
-$ FFE3
=$   1D

$1D = d29
d29 * .35163 = 10.195

Generally speaking, for DIS calibration, typical spark angle has
negative sign.  More negative values indicate more advance.  For
distributor calibration typical spark angle has positive sign.  More
positive spark values indicate more advance.  The $88 data posted
indicates 60 deg maximum advance and negative 10 deg minimum advance.

Zaphod