[Gmecm] RE Tweaking Asynchronous BTW

dgilbert78 at juno.com dgilbert78
Sun Sep 10 00:35:06 UTC 2006

Hello: Not really sure what BTW even is?? Black smoke = excessive fuel, I
guess we all know that Ha!.  A couple things come to mind, If you have a
fuel pump test pigtail (ability to run fuel pump without any ignition on)
Apply 12 volts to pump test pigtail and see if the injectors or pressure
regulator is puking fuel into the TBI. The pump should run and no fuel
should appear anywhere in throttle body area. I assume that you can
verify regulator pressure setting someway??? I had a problem where there
was air being sucked in from the lifter valley through the intake
manifold to head mating surface, this made the O2 sensor read lean all
the time and applied more fuel when it was not needed, just a thought. If
it is sucking air in through the lifter valley it will pull oil in also
and show up on the plugs, pull them and read them, see what they look
like. In my case i had to pull the intake, regasket it, use high temp RTV
and retighten. As i tightened each bolt slightly beat the intake into the
lifter valley area with a rubber mallet, tighten and beat on it until
torqued to specs, that fixed that problem. The temp sensor plays a big
role in fuel mixture, make sure it is working properly. Because the ECM
deals with low voltages dealing in tenths of volts make sure all
connections are in very good shape and your engine block is grounded
properly, this can raise big trouble with electronic controlled engines.
The ECM is only as smart as the data it receives from sensors. Bad
reading from sensor = bad happenings from the ECM.  I have several 1"
wide braided ground straps on my engine to chassis and the ground wire
from the battery goes directly to the engine block. Make sure all the ECM
grounds go to the engine block and are in good shape. I have a scope so I
can actually see things and how good or how bad they are. My engine still
has some minor tweaking problems only because I have not had time to get
to it. With a scope you can easily see the O2 sensor working and can see
if the mixture is being controlled properly by the ECM. Because you seem
to be running rich from what I can gather I would satisfy yourself that
none of your injectors are leaking and the "o" rings are sealing properly
and the regulator is not leaking or is not regulating properly. Until you
are satisfied that the engine, sensors, injectors are in working order,
you will tear your hear out trying to program around a problem with the
mechanics. That is about it. I wish you luck
Darryl...