[Gmecm] Boost leakage

David Allen davida1
Sun Sep 10 22:14:53 UTC 2006

  How much boost leakage is too much?  I'm inclined to say ANY is too much but in this real world, nothing is perfect.  I capped the turbo air inlet and charged the pipework and intake manifold with air from a compressor to listen for leaks witout the engine running.
  So far I've repaired leaks at the intercooler (road debris must have hit it?), throttle body adapter, and IAC motor mount.  Plus some vacuum fittings.
  The only one remaining is a slight leak around the throttle shaft.  It is just audible with the intake system charged with 5 PSI of air.  The throttle body is 21 years old and has .010" (guessing) of side play in the shaft.  How much if any performance or response will I loose from this?  It's a 3.1 V6 running 10 PSI boost with a MPFI injection system.  I have had no luck finding any replacement TB's for this engine.  I've only found 1 other matching TB and it was wallowed out worse than mine! I may send it off and get it re-bushed.
  David