[Gmecm] Modify $8D to work on MPFI 3.1L DIS engine

Brendan Patten bpatten
Mon Sep 11 03:33:23 UTC 2006

Since we are on the subject of DIS ignition, how does the DIS on the
3.8L engine differ from that on say 3.1L v6?

I purchased a 89 Bonneville this weekend, and it's crank sensor is
mounted external to the engine, and reads teeth in the backside of the
harmonic damper.  (had to change it, rubber was gone)

Anyways, this 3.8L engine uses a different DIS module and coil pack
setup then I'm used to looking at.  The coils are all one assembly, not
2 towers per coil-pack.  Also, the crank sensor has two channels, a 3x,
and a 12x I think it was, can't remember.

Also, each slot in the 3x signal is a different length.

Anyone know how this system differs? Or had any experience with it?  Are
these motors sequential? (Reason for 3 different length slots on 3x
signal??)