[Gmecm] '165 expertise???

Don Brown gs455tpi
Wed Apr 11 04:18:02 UTC 2007

Back again --

I was surprised by what I saw.  The equipment is

ibm thinkpad 380z - two comports one native(com1), and one usb/serial
adapter(com2)
akm cable
win aldl software

Both comports were set up the same in the control panel, and the
configuration of winaldl was the same for each com port.

usb/serial adapter - when plugged in some data was present, but not all in
the raw data page.  All other pages were blank.  When the "dash" page was
displayed, no data was present.

com port1 - no issues, all data was present in the proper places

I didn't notice any drop outs with either comports -- just incomplete data
for the usb/serial adapter.

I'll play a bit more with the usb/serial adapter ---

don

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Brown" <gs455tpi at comcast.net>
To: <gmecm at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] '165 expertise???

I can't be a lot of help here because I use diacom with our 7165, and it's
flawless with the parallel port.  At work though our equipment uses rs-232
ports for communication. So for the new laptops without the serial ports we
need to use the usb/serial adapters.  Our timing is critical and as long as
the serial port communication is set up we don't have problems.  All
adapters that we've seen are packaged with their own set of drivers and we
install them rather than trusting the drivers supplied with windows.  I'll
try some software and hardware to talk to the 7165 through a serial port
with a usb/serial adapter to see if I have the same issues and report back.

don