[Gmecm] OT: Buick 3800 oiling problems

Beau Blankenship ne14roxcj
Tue Apr 17 05:52:58 UTC 2007

Sorry for the OT post, but I know you guys have seen more of these 3.8l v6's
than I have. A friend called me today with a 1998 Olds EightyEight in his
shop. He rebuilt the engine after the lifters started ticking bad. Found
some torn-up cam bearings and such. I assume the engine build was done right
since the guy owns a machine shop. Engine ran great for a few miles then
developed another ticking lifter. Then another. So now, it's back in the
shop. He determined that he has a restriction somewhere in the oil passages,
but wants to narrow down where to look before he gets back into the engine.
He called me asking if I had seen an oiling diagram for the engine or knew
where to locate one. I knew that some of you guys had some experience with
these engines. Is there a common problem with these things, or has anyone
seen an oiling diagram? I appreciate any help.

Beau Blankenship

Feel free to e-mail me off-list about this one.