[Gmecm] Adjusting 7730/$8D for larger cam

Clair Davis clair.davis
Fri Feb 2 02:20:18 UTC 2007

Now that my engine is running pretty reasonably, it's apparent that it's PIG
RICH at idle. I'm about 99% sure this is due to the lower-than-I-hoped idle
vacuum reading. When running with a carb, this engine managed about 13-14"
of vacuum (44-47kPa if I'm doing the conversion right), now it's 10-12"
(34-40kPa). The tune I received from my chip supplier supposedly wanted 15"
at idle (51kPa). Since I'm not reaching this level, even after advancing the
cam 2*, I think I need to change my idle vacuum level.

Going through TPRT, it doesn't appear that this is any kind of one-point
setting, and is probably in the tables. Is it reasonable to adjust the table
points on the idle end down to where I need them? It might be that I get
better vacuum if the mixture is leaner, but I'm thinking that the rich mix
is due to the apparent load on the engine, not a quirk in the VE table
(yet).

Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated...

Clair
67 Cuda Vert (?/833)
68 Sport Fury Vert (NOM 440/727)
69 Valiant 100 (340/833/7730EFI)