[Gmecm] Tracker TBI Problems overcome!

Cowen captain_krill
Thu Feb 8 20:18:15 UTC 2007

Well!  Thanks for all your advice folks, but we were
all wrong!

I got to be the Guinea pig trying out a brand new
SnapOn Mobis scanner on Tuesday, and it confirmed the
O2 sensor is showing about 4 crosscounts at 2500 RPM.

At the same time, I rechecked the timing, shorting the
check connector etc.  It turns out it was somewhat
advanced, so I retarded the timing to stock.  The car
ran worse than ever!  Ah ha!  Something I did had an
effect!

On the way home, I advanced the timing repeatedly
until I was getting preignition under moderate load,
then backed it off a bit.  It now runs much better,
appears to be getting good mileage again, and passed
AirCare.  In fact, the CO went from 14.3g/km to
10.4g/km.  It still think I can just barely percieve a
bit of an "unsmoothness" under accel, but maybe I'm
paranoid.

So, I rechecked the timing.  It says it's about 26deg
BTDC!  Supposed to be around 8deg.  I even tried a
second timing gun!  Apparently the timing mark no
longer represents TDC.  I can't imagine how that would
be...

As a final note, I have been playing with three of
these cars (Mom's, sister's, wife's) over the last
three months, and ALL THREE had dead gaskets in the
TB, including chunks missing on two of them!

So thanks for your help and suggestions!

Duncan