[Gmecm] Tracker TBI problems

Cowen captain_krill
Fri Feb 9 22:14:18 UTC 2007

I'll answer as many questions as I can from the posts:

1.  Yes, has a dizzy, but no mechanical or vacuum
advance.
2.  Has a "cam Position Sensor" inside dizzy, no Crank
Position Sensor.
3.  I've swapped in another "known good" dizzy, no
changes good or bad.
4.  Has a timing belt, I changed it about 4 years ago.
 No other engine work of any kind done/needed.
5.  Haven't checked cam timing, but would it really
run as well as it does if it had jumped a tooth?  I
thought of this early on, but discarded the idea as
unlikely.  Maybe I should tear it apart and look!  If
I think it through though, that would not explain
timing problem, because strobe would still flash
around the correct TDC mark (because dizzy can be
adjusted independantly of cam).
6.  Yes Steve it did seem to run well after a pile of
work, but it was for only a few days.  Still, strange
that the problem shows variability.
7.  Crank pully is bolted to crank, 4 small bolts.
Keyed too?  Don't remember.
8.  Even if harmonic balancer had shifted, there are
no sensors there, so that cannot change timing - only
position of timing mark.  Therefore, could not have
causes this problem, only made it more confusing to
fix (as timing appears different than it is).

Thanks again for the ideas, and now I'm really
wondering about the cam jumping a tooth somehow!!

Duncan