[Gmecm] Chevy 350 Carburated to TBI / TPI?

Jay Vessels jay
Sat Jan 13 14:09:10 UTC 2007

Hi there!

The advice was to change the MEM-CAL

CAL is shorthand for MEM-CAL (or calibration, depending on who you ask).
   Many people call them "chips".  It's the replaceable memory (EPROM)
in the ECM that for the TBI ECMs we're discussing is located behind a
small removable panel on the ECM.

These parts are referenced by their "broadcast code" or BCC.  This is
the 3 or 4 letter designation given to identify a specific cal.

Does anyone have a specific BCC in mind for a TBI 350/TH400?  It sounds
like there's one on the server, which you could just burn into an EPROM
(2732) yourself.  If you go this route, and need help, just let us know.

Another choice is to try your GM dealer and buy a replacement cal for a
vehicle that is the closest to what you've got.  You'll need to do some
digging to find the right vehicle so you'll know what to ask for (i.e.
"1988 fullsize truck, 2WD 350V8 3-speed auto with Federal emissions"
That's just an example -- I don't know if that particular truck even
exists so don't use my example to try to buy anything).  A *good* GM
dealer parts counter will work with you on this a bit to help you find
the right part but you should go in there with a decent idea of what
you're after.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI pending)