[Gmecm] gm 92 riv prom chip

barryhanas at netscape.net barryhanas
Mon Jul 30 00:43:25 UTC 2007

I have changed a 92 buick lesabra into my 92 olds 88 without changing the prom . That year of ecm seems to be failure prone I had 3 go bad.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Vessels <jay at vessels-clan.com>
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Sent: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 8:17 pm
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] gm 92 riv prom chip

Hi there!?
?
kc wrote:?
>> can a 'reputable' GM deal reprogram a PROM easily? Is it something >> you'd EXPECT they know what to do???
>> Mine is probably shot in my 92 riv ;-(??
>> what we talking cost if I bought a NEW prom, 3rd party v GM?????
?
What symptoms lead you to suspect the chip is bad? I ask because it's not a failure-prone part.?
?
The factory chips weren't officially able to be reprogrammed, though sometimes GM did use parts that could be erased. Dealers just replaced the chip. Newer GM cars have FLASH memory and those are reprogrammed via the data port.?
?
The last chip I bought from GM was about $40.?
?
If the ECM's part number (i.e. 1227730, probably not the one you've got but it's an example of what it will look like) is the same, then just change the chip and you're fine. GM used the same ECM for different cars and options over the years, but as long as the part number (a.k.a. service number) is the same, then you're fine.?
?
Jay Vessels?
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI?
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI pending)?
?