[Gmecm] gm 92 riv prom chip

Jay Vessels jay
Tue Jul 31 03:29:14 UTC 2007

Hi there!

> i have been told by others the eeprom is bad
> digital dash works except the odometer]eter
> it reads ERROR EVERYTHING ELSE runs/is fine
> trip meter reset works fine. THE metric/english setting works fine as an
> ex.
> I cannot inspect thus vehicle in PA w/no odometer reading!

That's not the PROM in the ECM.  That's the EEPROM which is either in
the instrument panel cluster or the BCM (don't remember but I suspect
it's in the IPC).

I think someone on this list had a Toronado (an E-body like your Riv)
who may have knowledge on the EEPROM.  Unfortunately, I don't think it's
as simple as replacing the EEPROM, so you may be facing either having
the IPC rebuilt by GM (who apparently still services them according to a
conversation on a J-body list), or by one of the aftermarket rebuilders.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI pending)