[Gmecm] Re: Tracker TBI Problems still

Cowen captain_krill
Tue Jun 12 18:25:59 UTC 2007

Pat,
No, I never did get to the bottom of it.  In the end,
it passes AirCare and runs fine, the mileage is back
up.

I "fixed it" by fluke.  I was messing around with a
SnapOn Modus, watching the O2 sensor etc, and I
couldn't find anything wrong.  I thought I'd see what
would happen if I messed with the timing - and it
started running better.  Normally, reducing the timing
will clean up HC, but in this case, severely advancing
the timing made it run better! It's supposed to be
around 6 deg BTDC at idle, check connector shorted, if
I recall (been awhile).  Right now, it's reading
aroung 22 degrees!!  I ended up advancing until it
pinged, then retarding it until smooth.  It has the
cleanest emissions it's had since we bought it 4 years
ago.

Now the strange thing is, my mom's got the same car,
and it too has responded well to severely advancing
the timing.  That seems to eliminate the "rotated
harmonic balancer" theory...  Hers passed Aircare with
flying colours too.

By now, you should be thinking "This idiot doesn't
know how to check timing.  He's got one of those
adjustable timing lights, or he's put the pickup on
the wrong lead, or he doesn't know the check connector
from a hole in the ground."  Well, I've had three
other people look into this for me, with their own
tools, and all of us seem to have the same probelm
timing this one particular type of car!

So, the car works fine (although it still goes a bit
rich on a subzero start up and idles on 3 cylinders
for about 20 seconds), but I don't understand what
changed or why to cause the problems in the first
place (it happened on it's own last August), or why
the timing "seems" so advanced (when logically it
can't be that far off factory!!)

Soon it's for sale!  The End.