[Gmecm] Re: Gmecm Digest, Vol 27, Issue 10

dozierhc at aol.com dozierhc
Fri May 11 17:39:52 UTC 2007

Dig...

I think they can individually handle about 3 to 3.5 Watts without an issue.
Unless you are using multiple at same time at high DCs or in an ON/OFF configuration.
The typical load driven is about 60 Ohms.

So P= VI, and I=V/R.  ===> P= (V^2)/R.

If V= 14 Volts (typical) and R = 60 Ohms, then Power is 196/60 or 3.2 Watts.

So now if you use 14 Volts and 3.5 Watts (max), you get I = P/V  ==> 3.5/14 = 0.25 Amps per pin.

I know there is some safety margin built in, but I do NOT think you can directly drive 6 to 7 amps @ 12V with a direct quad driver output.  I think you might want to possible use the Quad output and put a MOSFET transistor on its output.  I think thre might be room on a 749 or 7727/7730 ECM heat sink to  attach one and run the wiring to/from it so as to use the connector for this rather than an off-board solution if PWM.  Just make sure you use at least a 14gauge wire for your run.

If its ON/OFF, then I would use an external relay...

Hank

Message: 1