[Gmecm] Injector sense

Rob Handley Robin
Mon Sep 3 09:04:29 UTC 2007

> Yes,  just leave them open for saturated injectors.

Many thanks.

> And yes,  the 727 and 749 schematics are the same,  the 727 doesn't have
> the 2nd injector installed I believe.

Thanks. I've read that the 730 only has one; so, as the 727 and 730 are
reputed to be identical inside, I guess this means the 727 only has one as
well. But 2 sets of pins are used to 'spread the load'.

> And yes,  they're all fired at once in batch mode,  once per crank
> revolution,  plus the asynchronous pulses.

This is the bit that worries me. My tests with the oscilloscope in the
garage yesterday indicated that the injectors were being fired once every 4
DRPs - because my (4 cyl) engine was idling at about 800 RPM, with ALDL
correctly reporting a DRP interval of ~38 ms. The 'scope was showing ~130 ms
between pulses - which is _roughly_ 4 x 38 (although disturbingly not close
enough for my liking!). I would expect to see 2 x ~38 = ~76 ms if they were
firing once per crank revolution.

I'm not _100 %_ sure that I'm reading the 'scope right as I haven't used it
before and there's no manual (it was thrown out from work), but the same
scope showed an idle injector pulse width which agreed with the ALDL BPW
plus the ~0.5 ms battery offset.

BTW: My code ($58) is set for 4 cyl, I've set the max async PW to zero, and
my MemCal has the leg of the chip at CAL56 desoldered - which I think
selects 4 cyl TPI mode. I've read that the number of DRPs between injector
pulses differs whether this pin selects TPI mode or TBI mode - but I'm not
clear how many DRPs between pulses in TPI, and how many in TBI.

Have I got something wrong?

Thanks Bill,

Rob