[Gmecm] Project underway...

Garrett Herning herningg
Mon Sep 3 23:02:24 UTC 2007

Hi David,

I think the injectors would be about the right size. Unless you are trying
to push some large horsepower out of that flathead with a hugh compression
increase and a turbo or blower...

I put a TBI from a 4.3L on a 78 pickup I have with a 5.7L. Since its for the
most part a stock engine (8:1 compression or whatever 1978's best was), and
its not a real hp monster I thought they would work ok. It runs fine and I
haven't had any trouble with it bogging down. I used a MegaSquirt, and if I
crank up the high throttle end of the fuel table, it moves pretty good
(along with the gas gage..lol).

I think the biggest decision would be how to orient the TBI. The stock
manifold seperate each bore to feed 1/2 of the cylinders... a V8 would feed
4 with one and the other 4 with the other, 2 on each side. Since you have a
totaly different manifold you'll have to see the best way to feed them. On
my 78, I made an adpater for a normal Qjet type manifold and so there was a
plenum area under the TBI where they could mix. The only thing I see on your
pic is it appears that the runners go down toward the front and back, so
having it sit 90 deg from normal might work better on that manifold... maybe
even some kind of divider that helps direct the flow of air and fuel from
each bore down to the front or back.... just a thought... I'd not an expert
of intake design though.

Good luck, looks like a cool project!

Garrett