[Gmecm] Undignified death of a project :P

Andrew Gibson andrewsharyn
Wed Sep 5 03:27:58 UTC 2007

About 2 years ago I embarked on a project to fuel inject the 250cid 6cyl in my 78 Chev. It involved putting a 2.5L TBI on it with a 7748 ecm. It was started up for the first time in February 2006. It has been very reliable and the only things I have had to do are minor tuning adjustments.

  This year I purchased a newer GMC truck with an auto trans (for my left knee's sake), less rust holes, and A/C. Since I was not driving the '78 anymore I gave it to my younger brother because he needed a truck.

  Last week I got a call from him telling me it lost power and died on the freeway. He had it towed to my parent's house. I went over to check it out. Cranking it over just didn't sound right. Had spark and fuel coming out of the injector. No oil in the crankcase. Then another little bit of information came up. It was boiling antifreeze out when it died - overheating.

  I finally got it started at 3/4 throttle. It runs on two cylinders. It's finished. The engine is blown up and it's not worth fixing. What a shame. 6 months of commuting 100 miles a day and he didn't check the oil or watch the guages. Oh well, the cab was about to rust off anyway.

  Anybody want to fuel inject their chev straight 6?