[Gmecm] Re: Undignified death of a project :P

David Allen davida1
Sun Sep 9 05:21:04 UTC 2007

  Congratulations on the award, nice ride...  Hard to beat that candy-apple
red!
  One comment for you though.  I have 3 GM engines with the following ECM's,
1228746, 1226869, and 1227137.  Two are TBI and one MPFI.  All are retrofits
into different year cars (and a boat).  None have an oil pressure switch.
The only control for the fuel pump is the ECM's "fuel pump relay drive"
output.  On these ECM's that output goes high (+12V) breifly when the key is
turned on; and stays high for as long as the ECM is seeing ignition
reference pulses.
  The only thing keeping the pump on is the ECM fuel pump relay drive
signal.  If the engine stalls with the key still ON, the pump stops about 3
seconds after the engine stops turning. To keep from setting a code, the
ECM's "fuel pump relay drive" and "fuel pump signal" lines are tied together
and both go to the relay's coil.
  I've never had the ECM shut down the pump while the engine is running.
  All the schematics show the oil pressure switch as you describe, in
parallel with the ECM-controlled relay.  Because it is a parallel circuit,
either the ECM-controlled relay, or the oil pressure switch can keep the
pump running. Since (at least on my 3 engines) the ECM keeps the relay
pulled in as long as the engine is turning, the oil pressure switch can open
and it will not make any difference. The fuel pump current will still have a
complete circuit through the relay.
  I see the oil pressure switch would be a redundant feature to allow the
engine to keep running if the relay failed but other than that it is just
added parts and wiring that are not necessary.
  Boy I agree a 7 psi shutdown on an engine under load will not save the
engine even if the ECM didn't keep the relay on!
  My expertise is older GM stuff and off-highway diesels (work for
Caterpillar dealer).  I'm not challenging your expertise but I want to
mention that not all ECM's turn off the fuel pump relay after the engine is
running.
  In real-world experience I'd expect more no-run problems due to shorted/
grounded wiring to the oil pressure switch, than I would due to failed
relays on an ecm-only setup.  IMHO, I would leave the oil pressure switch on
a factory setup, but it's not worth the trouble to install on a retrofit.
  On the newer big diesels, there is a table in the ECM "oil PSI Vs temp Vs
RPM."  It has a pressure transducer telling the ECM oil PSI, and an oil temp
sensor.  The ECM will detect the engine loosing oil pressure at any RPM. It
will derate the engine (reduce engine power), activate warnings, and
eventually (depending on the safety/ liability concerns) shut the engine
off.  Some of the calibrations (particularly on trucks) never shut off.
They derate to the degree that you can only just creep in low gears; this is
to keep from creating a traffic accident liability due to "intentional
avoidable shutdown."
  Some older stationary engines had 2 oil pressure switches, one at 10 PSI
and one at 40 or 50. The starter would begin turning the engine, and when
the 10 PSI switch closed, the fuel solenoid would activate.  After the
engine was running, a timer would change to the high-pressure oil switch
several seconds after startup (giving the engine time to rev up to operating
speed).  If the engine dropped below 40 or 50 at operating speed, an
automatic shutdown would happen.
  Just my two cents worth!!
Thanks,
David