[Gmecm] Cold start with 1228746

Phillip Kuhn pmkls1
Tue Nov 30 03:14:50 UTC 2010

Jared, it sounds like as the engine warms up it leans out too?quickly and dies,
or like you suggest the IAC is closing too quickly and killing the engine. I
have similar problems with my '89 firebird L03 that I have converted to E85.
Mine doesnt die, but?as it warms up from a cold start it leans out a little too
much until it gets?through a certain temp range. Since E85 is a little
tempermental in cold weather I usually let the engine warm up a bit before I
drive anyhow. There are 2 tables in TunerproRT for the 61 definition file that
address open loop AFR's vs. engine temp and open loop AFR vs. engine load. I've
been too lazy to make changes to my tune in?a while and like your problem?mine
is only in cooler ambient temps so in the summer I don't have this issue.
Anyhow, I am unfamiliar with tunercat, but if you download TunerproRT and the
61v3 definition file you can find these tables and alter them. They are
additional tables separate from the base ve tables and the crank AFR tables.
There?are also IAC steps vs. engine temp and choke tables. In open loop your BLM
and INT will remain at 128. The BLM and INT only go active in closed loop and
they are based on o2 sensor feedback to keep the AFR at the desired level. You
need to do some driving and log your BLM and INT in closed loop and make changes
to the base VE tables to keep them close to 128. Your car may perform well
as-is, but once the ecm goes into closed loop it's going to alter the fuel curve
to maintain the proper AFR and therefore you may not realize how far off your VE
tables actually are. Since you have a slightly more efficient intake and a
better camshaft, the VE tables will need to be optimized to your particular
engine combo. I too, haven't made many changes to my ve table and I average
around 17 mpg with E85, but if I look and my BLM and INT in closed loop they are
all over the place, but since the computer is continuously monitoring the actual
AFR and making changes the car performs just fine. As a matter of fact, the car
runs quite remarkable given the relatively poor tune I am running. As far as the
AIR pump goes,it technically does not affect the driveability of the vehicle at
all. The AIR pump is meant to lower emmissions levels at cold startup by using
fresh air pumped into the exhaust upstream of the catalytic converter. This is
there the post-converter o2 sensor comes into play on many obd2 vehicles. Other
than commanding the AIR diverter solenoid on under the proper circumstances, the
ecm we are using has no other connection to the AIR pump. I eliminated the AIR
pump as well as the EGR valve long before converting this vehicle to E85 with no
affects on driveability at all. Although, you can utilize the EGR valve to
increase fuel economy under cruise conditions, I simply eliminate them just to
get rid of some of that unnecessary junk under the hood. I hope this info helps,
and update us if you resolve your problem. BTW my car is a daily driver that I
use to commute 50 miles to work everyday (yes that is injust 1 direction), so I
have a LOT of miles of tuning this?particular ECM?under my belt now.

?? Phil