[Gmecm] Caprice Prom/ECM help

Bill Hamilton scoutii76
Wed Aug 31 17:25:36 UTC 2011

I wasn't referring to modifying the stock chip.I was referring to a conversion to the 27sf512 28 pin EEPROM from the 24 pin 2732 EPROM.There are 4 extra pins that need to be connected to pin 26 to allow the selection of the proper memory area of the chip so no stacking is needed. Just install the new chip in the original modified carrier.  I have been running them in my C3 ecms for a couple years now. Much faster to make changes and program then the old stuff. Removing the factory chip from the carrier is an art but once mastered you can remove them continuously with no harm to the chip. I used to buy the old 2732's and erase them and program them...and hope they worked. My old laptop with a parallel port died so I figured out how to just use the newer chip in place of the old ones without the use of an adapter. The chips are fairly cheap and they don't require any ultraviolet eraser. Even the ebay cheap programmers will work. But Moates supports the hobby so i like to use his stuff. But if you never plan to burn another chip or tune the vehicle, then it's better to just find someone to burn you a chip and hope they have a factory carrier for it or just hit a pick and pull and just grab a chip from an 8746 car with a 305/auto. Junkyards around me go from $10-30 for the complete ECM.