[Gmecm] Failing Calif SMOG

Roger and Carol rogerancarol
Fri Sep 2 05:01:19 UTC 2011

Thanks for the reply;
INT is varying slightly around 128 (127-129), which indicates the ECM is in control. The BLM?s are steady, and within tolerance.
My understanding of what causes CO would imply a misfire would result in high HC, not CO. Co is caused by incomplete combustion, due to a rich mixture.
A ?false lean? could certainly cause a rich mixture, resulting in high CO. Not sure what level of leak would be required, to cause the O2 sensor to read ?lean?. Would such a leak be audible? I?ve searched for reports of verified examples of such a leak without success. At any rate, I replaced the exhaust manifolds (but not to solve this issue), and gaskets without affect. I certainly do not here an exhaust leak.
No AIR used, so that?s not a cause. Remember, the high CO is only at RPMs above ~2300; idle HC is well within limits. If the INT and BLM?s are close to 128, that implies stoichiometric to me; HC?s and CO?s should both be ?good?, unless the O2 is sensing a false lean condition.
I?m inclined to believe the problem is with the right bank, which is not monitored by the ECM, but is ?analyzed? by the SMOG machine.

From: PERFormance DYNamics
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 2:56 PM
To: Roger and Carol ; gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] Failing Calif SMOG

Look at both the INT and BLM readings at 2600 RPM, warm, no load. Is the ECM in control under those conditions? At minimum the INT should vary some, even if the BLM seems stable.

If the ECM is in control and the CO readings are that high, check for anything that can cause the introduction of oxygen into the O2 side exhaust. Any additional oxygen will be interpreted as a lean condition and the ECM will drive the mixture richer in all cylinders. Exhaust leak? Upstream AIR air? Could you have any missfire for any reason on the side with the O2 sensor ? (a missfire contains not only the unburned fuel but also the unused oxygen)

If the INT is at 128 and not varying under those conditions, something may be disabling learn.

Happy hunting.

Carl