[Gmecm] Simulating the "power valve" in the ECU for PE

Butler James-CJB006 jim.butler
Mon Sep 12 21:51:00 UTC 2011

David, I?m looking at this now.

I?m a tad confused.   I?ll set the baseline of my understanding, below.

Transient fueling needs to mitigate temporary lean conditions which occur during changes in throttle position, e.g., at least,

?         to accommodate wet-flow fuel transit latency (as might be more prevalent in a TBI setup) relative to throttle tip-in, or

?         to fuel any brief, non-steady-state inrush of air into the manifold volume

are, as I understand them, accommodated in the carburetor by the accelerator pump.   I?ve assumed transient fueling is accommodated in the GM OBDI FI systems through the ?Pump shot? tables (if, of course, we believe that those tables are properly labeled according to their function!)

Power enrichment, e.g., to achieve the maximum torque output from the engine by increasing the AFR, is accommodated in the carburetor by a different mechanism which increases the AFR in the steady-state air flow.   Holley, for one, uses the ?power valve?; another, Edelbrock (with their Carter ?AFB? design), uses stepped metering rods and a set of pistons which respond to the pressure differential between the atmosphere and the manifold (aka ?vacuum?).  In FI systems I?ve assumed this is accommodated by the various ?PE? tables.

So ?pump shot? applies to transient events and ?power enrichment? applies to stead-steady events.

Are we aligned on this?  A simple yes/no will suffice.  I?ll follow with more comments, later.

<thanks!>

Jim