[Gmecm] Looking for MPI/Conversion information for GM 454 Cubic Inch Engine

Adrian Flynn adrianjamesflynn
Tue Sep 13 19:27:08 UTC 2011

September 13, 2011
Hello to everyone,

I have been setting in the background reading the posts and trying to make
sense out of them.
I am about to get my feet wet (as it were) with my 1973 3/4 ton Suburban.
4X2

What I want to do is add Multi port Injection in place of the
Carter/Edelbrock Carburetor that is currently powering it.

I would like some pointers in the right direction as to what I will need to
do to accomplish this.

What I would like to do is acquire a complete GM system from a junkyard 454
(Yeah I know Headaches),
My main reason for doing this is that I am living on a Disability income and
don't really have the coins to
buy a NEW unit.

Electronics was my lively hood for over 35 years as a repairman of TV's,
Stereos, Microwaves ETC;
so computers and such do not bother me and I have the tools for servicing
them.
Only thing I do not have is Scan Tools for Automotive Computers, OBD_I & II
etc.

I know this is reinventing the wheel but I hope to be able to get the
information I need to do this., and what pitfalls to avoid

The Suburban is a factory 454 with the turbo 400 Transmission, it is
equipped with long tube headers, dual 2 1/2 inch cherry bomb exhaust.
I will be upgrading the Transmission to a 700R or 4L60 in about a year or
so.

The Suburban does not have a Cat on it (Missing when I bought it in AZ) but
don't mind putting one on if need be for best usage.

My goal is best fuel mileage possible, with maximum low end torque.
I WILL NOT BE RACING IT!
I may be towing with it from time to time a trailer that grosses out at
12,000 lbs.

I use to have a 25' Sports Coach on a GM Chassis with the 454 and I averaged
15 MPG when I was not towing a Ford E150 behind it, with the E150 I averaged
10 MPG.

OK, I probably have bored you enough but I like to try to fill in the basics
of what I have and plan to do when asking questions like this.

I thank you for your time.

Adrian Flynn KF7DYU