[Gmecm] Looking for (turbo) specs - 97 to 99 Chevy diesel 2500HD pickup...

Command Performance Engineering c.p.e
Mon Feb 13 01:36:15 UTC 2012

David -

As a matter of comparison.  A few months ago I tuned a customer's 2000
Corvette and we used two Holset HX35 turbos from a Cummins Diesel equipped
98-99 Dodge Ram truck.  The engine in the Vette was a custom blend of LS
components:  LS2 block w/ ERL 1" deck plates with 4.2" sleeves, 4.5" stroke
Callies crank (500 ci) 8.2L, LS7 heads, LS7 Intake, big Comp Cams Hyd
Roller, "wrapped" headers, and ARP bolts everywhere.

While on the dyno we were able to play with the boost a little to see what
we could get, and we were able to get a full 30 psi of boost!  The customer
was planning for 10-15 psi boost to achieve 800 HP at the Rear Wheels and we
were able to accomplish that with only 10 psi.  Obviously, the massive
engine already put out decent power levels, so 10 psi was all that was
needed to reach 800 HP @ 5600 RPM, 787 lb-ft @ 5200 RPM.

I am not sure how the Holset turbo compares to the GM turbo, so I can't
really comment on that.

As you consider using a Diesel turbo on your 3.8L V6, I thought this would
be good food for thought.  All things considered relative to the turbo
specs, the main thing is that you want to make sure the turbine is a good
match for the exhaust output from the V6 engine.  Of course you probably
already know that if the turbo is too big, you will only see the power
coming "in," late in the RPM band and that won't be any fun for the street.
If the turbo matches well to your engine then you should see boost coming in
between 2000 and 2500 RPM.  It is difficult to obtain any reasonable spec
sheet for any factory turbocharger.

Look into what has been done on the Buick Grand National turbo V6 cars from
1984 - 1987.  But, GM did bring the mighty turbo 3.8L V6 back in the 1989
Pontiac Trans Am (EPROM BCC: APXB).

GM also turbocharged the 3.1 V6 in the 1989 & 1990 W-body Grand Prix (EPROM
BCC: AUFR).

Hope this helps.

  David Johnson