[Gmecm] OT - alternative refrigerant test... HFC152A

Thomas Martin n0dih1
Wed May 15 15:11:42 UTC 2013

My 94 Fleetwood all off a sudden kept getting debris clogging the orifice
and sending pressures sky high, I cleaned and recharged and in a day it was
plugged up again, so I took out the orifice and disconnected the
accumulator/compressor, and poured in acetone (a friend recommended) and
filled it up completely and let it sit for 10 min and then blasted out with
compressed air.  I vacuumed it down and put in fresh R134a (it was a R134
system) and it worked fantastic, never an issue that I knew of.

I probably should have used alcohol to chase the acetone, but it is done
and it has been solid for many years now.

The previous owner went through 2 compressors in 9 months.  I suspect the
factory one died and left debris and the second one was damaged due to the
system not being flushed or not being flushed properly.

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 8:47 AM, David Allen <davida1 at hiwaay.net> wrote:

> Hi Jay.
>
> There are commercial coil-flushing solvents which you use with a "flush
> gun." This is a compressed air powered tool that you fill with solvent,
> then
> charge it with air, then blow it throuh the coil.
>
> The main thing to do, is to use a highly volatile solvent that doesn't
> leave
> ANY residue. In other words, which evaporates completely. Things with
> lubricant or protecting film additives would be bad.
>
> I've seen some very dubious flushes sold at auto parts stores. The flushing
> process can bring up the flammability argument, because many of the poor
> performing flushing compounds are touted as 'nonflammable.' One of these
> was
> basically a 32 ounce can of Ester refrigerant oil.
>
> I use brake parts cleaner as a flush solvent. It is simple and effective,
> however you must take all the flammability precautions. It is HIGHLY
> flammable. I disconnect the car's battery and do the flush outside, away
> from any ignition source. Once the air has blown out the majority of the
> solvent, any remaining residue will evaporate and remove by the vacuum
> pump.
>
> I wrap the brake cleaner spray straw with electrical tape until it is
> "built
> up" large enough to seal into the eaporator or condenser fitting. Connect a
> length pf hose (such as 3/4 inch heater hose to the other fitting of the
> coil being flushed. Route this to a safe disposal container. Then spray
> half
> the can into the coil. Follow with compressed air, to blow out the solvent
> (mixed with the old oil). Repeat with the second half of the can of
> cleaner.
>
> Three cans per car, one for the evaporator, one for the condenser; and one
> for cleaning fittins etc.
>
> You will see all sorts of brown gunk come out. It's quite a mess.
>
> If your condenser has a bunch of bent fins and crushed areas, you would
> probably be wise to take it off the truck and careully asess it. The bent
> fins can be combed out, and the packed fins can be pressure-washed
> (carefully) to remove the debris. But depending on cost, it might be
> cheaper
> to buy a new one.
>
> What I've been hit with, is the new ones are Chinese crap and the fittings
> and mounting holes don't always line up. :( So I tend to repair what I've
> got.
>
> Since you say your compressor has "stopped compressing" I would fear it has
> disintegrated internally. You may need to bite the bullet and buy a new
> condenser coil. Those R4 units tend to shoot large pieces of teflon and
> shavings into the system when they fail. The condenser has 2 paths of flow.
> The flush takes the path of least resistance. So, if the compressor shoots
> trash into the coil, and one path is blocked, you can flush the OTHER path,
> [...]

Cars built by engineers, rather than spreadsheets, tend to go down in
history...  Tiff Needell