[Wbo2] Using the Bosch WB sensor with L1H1 circuit board

bcroe at juno.com bcroe
Sun Nov 13 07:12:42 UTC 2005

The purpose of a meter affects everything.  The emissions people
could care less about transient performance, power, etc.  They
just want to see that the total accumulated emissions is under
their limit.  They may be sticky about absolute numbers.

You on the other hand, are very interested in throttle response,
and power.  Consistancy is much more important than absolute
accuracy.  The best way to display this info will also vary.

No, the sensors are not highly precise devices.  To get that,
each sensor will need to be individually calibrated.  Tuners
really don't care.  If a certain reading is best power, it is best
power for you.  It really doesn't matter it it's 12.7:1 or 13:1, as
long as it always reads the same.  What all meters (and display
devices) should agree on, is S or Lambda.  That is a null
point, and error should be relative to that.

Transient response is limited by the sensor.  Getting electronics
to keep up is pretty trivial, and easy to verify.  Digital display
devices are worthless in this respect, but a graph or logging
(another graph) will handle it.  The speed, direction, and
approximate amplitude are a whole lot more important than
the number of decimal places.  This was a weak spot on the
original DIY-WB, but I found a fix for that.  There were also
problems with the heater circuit, but those could be fixed too.

Certainly reading plugs, etc are still valuable.  There was even
a transparent plug to observe flame color, perhaps upgraded
now with fiber optics.

Bruce Roe